August 30, 2010

Resignation as Thunderbird l10n contact

Hi everyone,

it's really hard for me, but I've decided to resign from my role as Thunderbird l10n contact as of today (Monday).

Within the last six months it has become clear to me, that I'm not able to do the job adequately anymore, as my time has been more and more occupied with matters related to my private life and my day job. Therefore I've not been able to dedicate as much volunteer time to this role as I would have liked or hoped.

I don't want to fill a role any longer, where I'm not satisfied with my performance and where a motivated person with more time on his/her hands could really make the difference, that I can't make anymore.

Right now I'm working on a transition plan with the folks of Mozilla Messaging. Once a new person takes over, I'll make sure to be available and help him/her with ramping up in the new role. If anybody is interested in picking up some or all of this work, we (meaning Mozilla Messaging or me) would love to talk to you.

I've written up a list of things, that I've performed regularly in this role to give people an impression of what's involved. The list is available here.

If you are thinking about taking on this job, let me tell you in short what makes it so rewarding:
I think being part of a team and being responsible for bringing TB to new people in new markets is particularly rewarding. When I look back and see that we had 38 locales with TB2, are now at 52 and have the potential to reach 80 locales, I see a lot of potential new TB users, which the l10n coordinator would at affect. Working with so many different people (localizers, developers, users) is also something that I've always thrived on. So please get in touch!

It's been a real pleasure working with all of you.

PS: I will also resign from my different roles in the Calendar Project. Please see this blog post for more information.

3 comments:

id said...

Thanks for all your work over the years! I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point, it's a small world.

Gary said...

The Mozilla community will miss having you around, sipaq. Thanks so much for being such a large part of TB and Calendar over the past years.

All the best to your future endeavours! :)

-Gary
nth10sd

Dan Mosedale said...

I've already said it in dev-apps-thunderbird, but I'd like to say it here too. Thanks so much for all your hard work over the years; Thunderbird is in a better place for a lot users because of it!